If you are trying to lose weight, drinking plenty of water will help you reach your goal. While water is essential to everyone, it has particularly use for those of us trying to reduce our calorie intake. Here are some reasons why:
- Water keeps you hydrated. Sometimes dehydration can manifest itself as hunger. If you keep your body properly hydrated, you are less likely to think you are hungry when you are actually thirsty.
- Water can be a substitute for unhealthy foods. Tempted to eat a candy bar? Grab a bottle of water instead. Feel like eating a slice of that lemon meringue pie in the fridge? Get a glass of water and squeeze some lemon in to curb the craving.
- Water helps digestion. Lack of water is associated with constipation and poor digestion. Drinking it helps keep everything in your digestive system in good working order.
- Water can stand in for other “calorie-laden” drinks. Pass on soda and juice and drink water instead. It will save you countless calories if you can do it on a regular basis.
- Water can help you feel full. If you are on maintenance, water-based foods like broth-type soups and fresh fruits and vegetables can also help with satiation and make you feel full, especially before a meal.