Spring is right around the corner, and if you have had a difficult time this winter with exercise and physical activity, now is the time to re-think your lifestyle. Walking, dancing, yard and house work can all make a difference in your life. The American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association published new guidelines for exercise and now recommend 150 minutes (2 1/2 hours) per week of moderate physical activity, or 60 minutes per week of vigorous physical activity! One way to track your activity is to use a pedometer or other device to count your steps daily. It is recommended to take at least 10,000 steps daily.
Some ideas to increase your physical activity without going to a gym:
- Use the stairs instead of the elevators.
- Park at the end of the parking lot and walk to your destination.
- Park at the opposite end of the store to where you need to shop.
- Make extra trips at home or work down hallways.
- Walk around your home during TV commercials.
- Walk around the airport before you board the plane.
- Dance while you clean.
- Carry your groceries.
- If you are taking a bus or subway, stand.
- If you can, put your appointment to exercise on your calendar!
Brainstorm and think of other ways to increase your activity! Just start…