It is that time of year again when the weather can be treacherous and cold. More people stay indoors and it is difficult to stay as active as other times of year. The days can seem dark and long! Food may beckon you and you might find yourself eating or wanting to snack more than normal. Some people may even experience SAD, or seasonal affective disorder.
Here are a few things that you can do to stay positive this time of year:
- Increase your physical activity. Many studies show that exercise does help you feel better. It may help you feel more energetic and content! Good exercise choices may be walking, jogging, bicycling aerobics or yoga.
- Exercise with a friend! This gives the added benefit of being social, and the camaraderie during the winter months can also help brighten your spirits.
- Maintain a healthy diet! Make sure you are eating your fruits and vegetables, even if they are more expensive this time of year.
- Elevate your mood with flowers or scents. Scented candles and fresh flowers can brighten your day.
- Continue doing a hobby you enjoy whether it be reading, exercising, woodworking, crafts, etc.
- Plan your next get-a-way! Just planning it, can give you a warm, cozy feeling!
Just remember! Stay active, be social, and treat yourself special in ways other than eating!