If you need to lose weight but don’t like going to the gym, you’ll be pleased to learn that you can burn a significant number of calories simply by engaging in everyday activities. In fact, being physically active throughout the day can help you burn as many as 300 extra calories, according to research.
Experts maintain that a great way to burn 300 calories per day is by engaging in “NEAT” activities. Neat refers to non-exercise activity thermogenesis, which occurs when you do things other than sleeping, eating or exercising. Simple things such as walking, riding your bike instead of driving, doing yard work and cleaning up around the house can help you burn extra calories by raising your metabolic rate.
The good news is that “NEAT” calories can add up really quickly, even for those seeking medical weight loss. In the space of 30 minutes, a 150-pound person can burn calories doing the following activities:
- Raking Leaves: 147 calories
- Vacuuming: 119 calories
- Cleaning: 102 calories
- Gardening: 153 calories
- Packing or unpacking (as in moving): 191 calories
- Cutting the lawn with a walking mower: 205 calories
- Riding your bike on a flat road, such as in Columbus, Ohio: 220 calories
If you really want to burn calories throughout the day, set out to do a variety of spontaneous activities throughout the day, thus reducing the time spent sitting. In order to increase the number of calories you burn in a given day, consider the following tips:
- Instead of sending an email or making a call, stroll down the hall to converse with your colleagues.
- Bypass the elevator and use the stairs.
- Instead of hiring a service to clean your home, do it yourself.
- Walk the dog daily.
- Instead of driving to work or to the store, ride your bike.
A pedometer is a great tool to help you gradually increase the number of steps you take on a daily basis. In the beginning, you will learn your average number of steps, which makes it easier to add a few more every day. Set goals based on your early readings and before you know it, you’ll be flying up the stairs and walking to the store instead of driving.