In a typical Thanksgiving meal, Americans will consume more than 1600 calories! Here is an example of a “typical” meal:
- Turkey (6 oz) 340 calories
- Ham (6 oz) 300 calories
- Gravy ½ cup 150 calories
- Pumpkin Pie – 1 piece 180 calories
- Cranberry sauce – ½ cup 190 calories
- Rolls – 1 roll 155 calories
- Mashed potatoes – ½ cup 150 calories
- Stuffing ½ cup 180 calories
- Green Bean casserole – ½ cup 150 calories
The values calculated represent the portion size listed. Most Americans consume greater than these portion sizes.
No matter what dietary plan you are following, the important thing is to plan ahead. Think how good you will feel if you follow your plan.
Here are some non-food ideas for Thanksgiving Day:
- Give Thanks!
- Take a walk, dance, play an active video game.
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Play board games.
- Do puzzles.
- Call relatives or friends.
- Do a craft or start a project.
- Shop, but stay away from the food court.
- Go bowling, roller, or ice skating.
- Listen to music.
- Play an instrument.
- Clean out your clothes closet.
- Enjoy a large glass of ice water with lemon or lime, and sip slowly!
- Refresh yourself by taking a shower or brushing or flossing your teeth.