Walking is an excellent way to lose weight. It can be done just about anywhere, regardless of your current fitness level. Find out how to get the most out of your walking routine.
Tips for Walking to Lose Weight
- Walking at a moderate pace for 30 to 60 minutes can burn fat and build muscle. You’ve probably reached a moderate pace when you can comfortably answer a question, but holding a full conversation is difficult.
- Walking quickly creates momentum and helps you build muscle. However, walking at a slower pace for a longer period of time can help you burn more calories because each step requires energy.
- A good pair of walking shoes is important for comfort and preventing injuries. Shop at an athletic shoe store where the staff can help analyze your gait and recommend a proper fit.
- Practice proper form when walking. You should stand up tall with your back straight, chin parallel to the ground, and eyes forward. Your arms should be bent at a 90-degree angle and swinging back and forth to counterbalance your leg motion.
- You should drink about 8 ounces of water 10 minutes before each walk. Drink another cup of water at each 20- or 30-minute interval, and another one to two glasses when you’ve finished your walk to rehydrate.